SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre
The SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre is a Four-Channel Mic Pre with VHD. Whether you need to track pristine vocals, crunched drums or electric guitars on the edge of sonic destruction, the SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre delivers a powerful and versatile sound shaping tool kit - the perfect analogue companion to your digital recording system. Based on the VHD circuit from the acclaimed Duality console, the SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre adds four SSL mic preamps to any line level DAW audio interface, transforming it into a professional quality, multi-channel analogue recording system.
The four ultra-clean, high-grade mic preamps are combined with independent Variable Harmonic Drive circuits that use 100% analogue signal paths to generate rich harmonic distortion - adding SSL analogue attitude to your digital recordings. As you increase the input gain, the Variable Harmonic Drive circuit introduces a blendable mix of 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion to your source material, taking it from gentle valve-style warmth through to trashy transistoresque grunge. It's a new world of overdriven possibilities.
Variable Harmonic Drive - a time machine of overdrive characteristics. It may look like just another knob, but our VHD (Variable Harmonic Drive) preamp is far from a traditional linear gain control - it's more like a time machine of overdrive characteristics. When VHD is used in conjunction with the input gain control, a huge variety of preamp sounds can be created, from gentle warming to serious distortion.
At relatively low input gain settings the VHD Pre preamps deliver transparent signals with all of the sonic fidelity you'd expect from SSL. As the input gain setting is increased, more of the signal is passed to the Variable Harmonic Drive circuit, increasing the intensity of the effect from subtle to extreme. By adjusting the VHD control the distortion characteristics can be shifted from 50s valve-style overdrive (if the VHD selection control is turned fully anti-clockwise for 2nd harmonic distortion) to 70s transistor-style grit (if the VHD selection control is turned fully clockwise for 3rd harmonic distortion) or a blend of the two. VHD is used in studios around the world and is rapidly establishing itself as the go-to tool that allows modern producers to achieve a sound that evokes the sonic heritage of SSL while adding a strong contemporary edge.
SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre Features
- Ultra-clean SSL preamp with 75dB of gain
- 48V phantom power
- 20dB Pad switches that illuminate to indicate overload
- Hi Z switches to accommodate mic, line and instrument level signals
- Four independent Variable Harmonic Drive systems
- Front panel 1/4" jack instrument/line level inputs with passive DI type impedance detection and level matching
- Individual input, output and VHD controls for each section
- Rear panel XLR mic/line inputs and XLR outputs
- Transform your DAW audio interface with four SSL analogue mic preamps
- Ultra-clean, high-grade mic preamps with line and instrument level switching
- Four independent Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) circuits
- VHD - a time machine of overdrive characteristics
- 100% analogue signal path
- Additional Information
Manufacturer SSL SKU SSSLXLALPVHD Model SSL XLogic Alpha VHD Pre GTIN N/A Single or Pair N/A