The RME M-16 AD is a 16-channel high-end AD converter to both MADI and ADAT. The unit combines excellent analog circuit design with the latest converter chips and RME's superior SteadyClock, resulting in a state-of-the-art AD conversion.
The unit's unique set of features includes analog limiters, three hardware reference levels up to +24 dBu, MADI and ADAT I/O up to 192 kHz, 6.3 mm TRS and D-sub inputs, remote control via MIDI, and operation across a wide range of mains voltages, all packed into a 2U enclosure. An extraordinary limiter, conceived and optimised for professional studio, stage, and broadcast applications, offers essential operational safety with its capability to limit an input's overload of up to 17 dB without audible distortion (max. input level + 30 dBu).
The M-16 AD provides multichannel conversion in reference quality - at an unbeatable price/performance ratio!
RME M-16 AD Features
- 16-channel AD converter, fully symmetrical design, 116 dBA
- 19" enclosure with only 2 units height
- 1 x MADI I/O, 16 channels @ 192 kHz
- 4 x ADAT Out, 16 channels @ 96 kHz, 8 channels @ 192 kHz
- Zero Delay MADI I/O: no delay compensation necessary when stacking units
- Analog limiter can be activated
- 16* LED level meters with 5 LEDs each
- 16* LEDs to display the Limiter state per channel
- SteadyClock(TM) - pristine sound quality independently from the quality of the external clock signal
- SyncCheck® - unique technology to check clock synchronization
- All settings are stored permanently
- Fully remote controllable via MIDI and MIDI over MADI
The M-16 AD offers an outstanding AD conversion to MADI and ADAT formats in a compact 19" unit with only 2U height. The balanced analog inputs based on RME's reference design from the ADI-8 QS guarantee excellent S/N and THD specs across a wide analog level range. Three different hardware levels are available. Using up-to-date converter technology, the device not only works up to 192 kHz, but also reaches a real-world signal-to-noise ratio of 116 dBA - on all channels.
SteadyClock(TM) guarantees perfect sound quality through efficient jitter suppression, making the device completely independent from the quality of external clock signals. Intelligent Clock Control not only displays every clock status by means of flashing LEDs, but will also retain the last valid input sample rate in case of failure of the external source. Other renowned RME technologies like SyncCheck allow quick detection of clock problems.
All M-series converters are fully remote controllable and configurable via MIDI. Each unit's complete status can be monitored, including all the front panel's displays. Individual IDs can be set for each unit, for separated control of multiple units via a single MIDI channel. Control software for Mac and PC is supplied and allows easy remote control, also with MIDI transfer via MADI (MIDI Extender).
M-32 AD and M-16 AD have optical and coaxial MADI inputs. In case of failure of an input signal, the source is switched immediately, if a valid signal is present on the other input.
The M-16 AD's four ADAT outputs provide simple connectivity with other studio equipment. A combination with RME's HDSPe RayDAT makes a perfect partnership, allowing the transfer of 32 channels into a Mac or PC with regular optical Toslink cables at an unbeatable price. The converter's ADAT input only serves as an optional source for external synchronization.
All settings are retained when the unit is powered off.
The MADI input serves as optional external clock source, but also as MADI pass-through input. Since the M-32 AD uses only 32* channnels of the MADI signal, unused channels of the input signal are fed through to the output. This way, the signals of two or more units can be combined into one MADI stream of 64 channels, with every unit adding its channels to the input signal, resulting in one line at the output of the last unit.
M-32 AD and M-16 AD can be freely combined up to a total of 64 channels. One M-32 AD can be combined with one or two M-16 AD, as can be up to four M-16 AD. Of course, the units can be synced with sample accuracy by word clock.
RME M-16 AD Specifications
- Input AD: 1/4" TRS jack and 25 pin D-sub, servo balanced, completely symmetrical audio path
- Output AD: 4 x ADAT optical, 1 x MADI optical/coaxial
- Dynamic Range AD: 113 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
- THD AD: < -110 dB (< 0.00032 %)
- THD+N AD: < -104 dB (< 0.00063 %)
- Crosstalk AD: > 130 dB
- Input level for 0 dBFS: +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu
- Frequency response AD, -0.1 dB: 10 Hz - 23.2 kHz (sf 48 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -0.5 dB: < 5 Hz - 45 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response AD, -1 dB: < 5 Hz - 80 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz, variable (Sync/WC)
- Jitter: Typical < 1 ns for internal, Word Clock, ADAT and MADI input
- Jitter sensitivity: all PLLs operate error-free even at 100 ns
- Jitter suppression: > 30 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Power supply: Internal switching mode PS, 100V - 240V AC, 60 Watt
- Dimensions: (WxHxD) 483 x 88 x 200 mm
- Additional Information
Manufacturer RME SKU SRMEM16AD Model RME M-16 AD GTIN N/A Single or Pair N/A