RME Fireface 802 Firewire and USB Interface
The RME Fireface 802 is a FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 audio interface offering up to 60 channels of I/O. Featuring 12 channels of analogue I/O including 4 top class mic pres with reference class converters, two banks of ADAT and a cohesive effects section at operation up to 192kHz.
The 802 has switchable reference levels on all of its inputs and outputs, stand alone functionality and a revamped edition of RME’s powerful, TotalMix FX mixing and routing software. Plus, with TotalMix for iPad, the 802 has full remote functionality without the need for an additional computer.
The Fireface 802 is a highly integrated pro audio solution, a full-blown studio, all within a 19", 1U enclosure. An interface designed for users who don’t want to make compromises in sound, stability and ultra-low latency operation, and who long for an unrivaled professional feature set. Once again a milestone interface from RME, including the best of the best and even a bit more.
RME Fireface 802 Features
The Fireface 802 provides 60 channels of audio: 30 input and 30 output channels.
All inputs and outputs can be used at the same time. Up to 12 analog and 18 digital channels can be recorded onto 30 tracks separately.
The Fireface 802 has 12 analog I/Os.
- 12 Inputs . 8 balanced TRS on the back and 4 XLR inputs with Mic/Instrument preamps on the front.
- 12 Outputs . On the rear: 8 balanced TRS. On the front: Two hi-power TRS stereo phones outputs provide high volumes even with hi-impedance headphones (playback channels 9/10 and 11/12).
- Sound Quality . Like other RME products, the Fireface 802 combines excellent analog circuit design with latest digital conversion technology. All balanced TRS & XLR I/Os as well as the two phones outputs offer outstanding low noise and distortion values. In best RME tradition and product philosophy converters and preamps don’t produce “sound”, they do not add or remove anything from the source signal, just capture it as it is.
- AES/EBU: The Fireface 802 has one professional AES/EBU I/O operating at up to 192 kHz.
- ADAT: Two 8-channel ADAT I/Os allow for a connection of two additional AD/DA converters or the insertion of effects devices and mixing consoles. Both I/Os support sample rates at up to 192 kHz (S/MUX4). Like AES/EBU, these 16 ADAT channels are available simultaneously with the analog channels. Using two external converters like the ADI-8 QS, the 802 will provide 28 analog inputs and outputs, 20 with a sample rate of 96 kHz, and still 16 at 192 kHz.
- SPDIF: The second ADAT I/O can be used as optical SPDIF I/O, making the UFX connections even more flexible.
- Word Clock & MIDI: A word clock input and output (BNC) with switchable termination and a MIDI I/O complete the list of connections, turning the Fireface 802 into a professional audio system with universal usability.
The DSP based TotalMix mixer allows fully independent routing and mixing of all 30 input and 30 playback channels to all 30 physical outputs. Up to 15 totally independent stereo submixes plus a luxury Control Room section offer unrivalled monitoring capabilities and unsurpassed routing flexibility.
Every input and output channel comes with a full feature set. The effects per channel include 3-band parametric EQ, adjustable Low Cut, Auto Level, Compressor, Expander, MS Processing and phase reversal. The Reverb and Echo effects unit is available for all channels by a stereo send and return bus. The Fireface 802 offers all these effects in all sample rates, including 192 kHz.
The two DSPs ensure an impressive performance even in extreme applications. As usual with RME, TotalMix is available with all channels (90) at all sample rates, completely unlimited. The second DSP calculates the effects only, therefore has sufficient resources. For example, at 48 kHz 60 EQs, 40 Low Cuts, 8 Dynamics, Reverb and Echo can be activated.
RME's unique jitter suppression technology guarantees perfect sound quality throughout, making the device completely independent from the quality of external clock signals. Due to the highly efficient jitter reduction, the UFX converters operate independently from the quality of the external clock signal, as if they are working with internal clock all the time - guaranteeing a pristine sound quality!
SteadyClock allows the Fireface 802 to control the sample rate freely on its own. The settings dialog includes a direct choice of the video and audio world's most often used sample rates.
Intelligent Clock Control not only displays every clock status, but will also retain the last valid input sample rate in case of failure of the external source. Other renowned RME technologies like SyncCheck offer a quick detection of clock problems.
The 802 comes with RME´s unique software tool box for metering, testing, measuring and analyzing digital audio streams. It provides a multi-track recorder, calculates the level meters peak and RMS in hardware, and analyzes and displays audio in multiple ways, like stereo, multichannel, all channels, surround, spectral, and many more.
The specially developed, internal hi-performance switch mode power supply lets the UFX operate in the range of 100V to 240V AC, thus can be operated all over the world. It is short-circuit proof, has an integrated line-filter, is fully regulated against voltage fluctuations, and suppresses mains interference.
Stand Alone Operation with Setup Recall
The Fireface 802 can be set up and configured directly via iPad, MIDI remote and ARC. Additionally 6 memory slots are present where the current configuration can be stored permanently. This way the 802 operates independently from a computer. In stand-alone operation it can turn itself into different devices by the simple push on a button.
USB & Firewire Connectivity
Full support for both USB 2.0 and Firewire for stable connectivity.
RME Fireface 802 Specifications
AD, Line In 1-8, rear
- Resolution AD: 24 bit
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 113 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz - 20.8 kHz
- Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 5 Hz - 45.8 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 5 Hz - 92 kHz
- THD: < -110 dB, < 0.00032 %
- THD+N: < -104 dB, < 0.00063 %
- Channel separation: > 110 dB
- Input: 6.3 mm TRS jack, electronically balanced
- Input sensitivity: 8 kOhm unbalanced, 12 kOhm balanced
- Input sensitivity switchable to Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
- Input level for 0 dBFS @ Lo Gain: +19 dBu
- Input level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
Microphone In 9-12, front (As AD, but:)
- Input: XLR, electronically balanced
- Input impedance: 3.4 kOhm
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 112 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
- Gain range: 54 dB
- Maximum input level, Gain +6 dB: +10 dBu
Instrument In 9-12, front (As AD, but:)
- Input: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
- Input impedance: 800 kOhm
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
- Maximum input level, Gain +6 dB: +21 dBu
DA, Line Out 1-8, rear
- Dynamic range (DR): 115 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.5 dB: 5 Hz - 20.8 kHz
- Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 5 Hz - 45 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 5 Hz - 89 kHz
- THD: -104 dB, < 0.00032 %
- THD+N: -100 dB, < 0.00063 %
- Channel separation: > 110 dB
- Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, servo-balanced
- Output impedance: 75 Ohm
- Output level switchable Hi Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
- Output level at 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
- Output level at 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
- Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV
DA - Stereo Monitor Output Phones (9-12) (As DA, but:)
- Output: 6.3 mm TRS stereo jack, unbalanced
- Maximum output level at 0 dBFS, High: +16.8 dBu
- Maximum output level at 0 dBFS, Low: +2 dBV
- Output impedance: 30 Ohm
- 2 x XLR, transformer-balanced, galvanically isolated, according to AES3-1992
- 2 x TOSLINK I/O, format according to Alesis specification
- Standard: 2 x 8 channels 24 bit, up to 48 kHz
- Double Speed (S/MUX): 2 x 4 channels 24 bit 96 kHz
- Quad Speed (S/MUX4): 2 x 2 channels 24 bit 192 kHz
- Quad Speed Windows USB: 1 x 2 channels 24 bit 192 kHz
SPDIF optical (via ADAT2)
- 1 x optical, according to IEC 60958
- BNC, switchable termination
- Additional Information
Manufacturer RME SKU SRMEFIREFACE802 Model FIREFACE802 GTIN 4260123363055 Single or Pair N/A