Phoenix Audio DRS8 MKII - 8 Channel Class A Mic Pre - B-Stock
The Phoenix Audio DRS8 MKII is an eight channel preamp with class A circuit design. This preamp delivers a wide range of tones from ultra clean sounds or warm saturated tones similar to most heralded vintage designs. Versatility and superior sound have made the DRS Preamp/DI a top-tier choice for engineers around the world and a modern day classic. This is a B-Stock item and is in excellent condition with no damage or faults, still covered by full warranty as if new.
Hi-Fi Transformerless Mic Input Stage
Phoenix Audio’s exclusive electronically-balanced, transformerless mic input circuit delivers fast transients and the full frequency spectrum (from sub-bass to the highest air band), while still delivering the full, warm and smooth characteristics that make engineers love Class-A mic preamps. Boldly outperforming transformer-based designs in both the frequency response and slew rate, the DRS delivers articulate, punchy and full-bodied input signals, allowing you to drive the output stage for a vast range of pure Class-A tones—from bold clarity to vintage warmth, and everything in-between.
Legendary Transformer-Balanced Output Stage
Phoenix Audio’s custom-wound DB694 output transformer is coupled to Phoenix's proprietary, fully discrete DSOP-2 output amplifier. The DSOP-2 is a direct descendent of the venerable TF1 amp which Phoenix's head-designer, David Rees, developed as an upgrade for vintage Neve modules. Going beyond the TF1, the DSOP2 is the pinnacle of Class-A output circuit design, offering up a smooth transition from ultra-clean to beautifully saturated tones.
Ultra-High Impedance DI Circuit
The DRS-1, DRS-2, DRS-8 and DRS1R-500 include very high input impedance DI circuits (10Mohm)—remarkably featuring no FETs—on every channel. This design means that guitar and bass pickups are not loaded, allowing the natural sound of both modern and vintage instruments to shine and actually enhancing the sound, sparkle and growl as if they were plugged into your favourite amp. Synths, drum machines, and even laptops can likewise be sweetened by the DRS's DI.
Easy and Intuitive In The Studio
Because you're working with a clean, robust, electronically-balanced input signal, the DRS Mic Preamp/DI makes dialing in your exact sound easy, intuitive and quick. By working the familiar stepped input gain control (up to 70db alone) and the -15dB pad against the variable output fader (which provides an additional 10dB of gain), you can dial in your preferred tones without having to consider an overly complex gain architecture. It's all about driving the versatile DSOP-2 output stage to your exacting tastes, whatever they may be in any given moment. Like so many other engineers, you'll find yourself reaching for the DRS Mic Preamp/DI over and over again to reliably deliver a vast array of outstanding sounds for any instrument or voice you're recording.
- 8 Channel 2U – 19” Rack-mount unit: With 240V/110V mains voltage input selector switch Inputs
- Connections: Neutrik Combo XLR/1/4” XLR sockets on Rear Panel for Mic inputs & line inputs and switched jacks for DI inputs
- Output connections: XLR’s on rear panel
- Additional outputs: 25 pin “D” style connector on the rear panel (wired “Tascam” Standard)
- Gain Range (Mic input): -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the fader.
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. 5 LED Meter on each channel (with hysteresis)
- Phantom Power: Switchable 48V phantom on Push-button switch
- High Pass Filter: on Push-button Switch (Roll-off -6dB per octave @ 80Hz)
- Phase Reverse: on Push-button Switch
- Mute: On Push-button switch.
- Pad Push-button switch: Enables Flexibility for input levels, pad is set at 15db.
- Detented output: 21 positions.
- Transformer-balanced Output on each channel: Driven by the Phoenix Audio Class A DSOP-2 fully discrete output stage, each transformer is custom wound.
- Class A (DSOP-2) Output specs: Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB, Maximum
- Output: +26dBu @ 1kHz, Noise = -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Phoenix SKU SPHEDRS8MK2B Model PHOE-DRS8-MKll-8-B GTIN NA
£1,998.00 (inc. vat) £1,665.00 (ex. vat)
£1,620.00 (inc. vat) £1,350.00 (ex. vat)
£1,479.00 (inc. vat) £1,232.50 (ex. vat)
£3,185.00 (inc. vat) £2,654.17 (ex. vat)
£6,200.00 (inc. vat) £5,166.67 (ex. vat)