Neumann TLM 193 - Large Diaphragm Cardioid Microphone - Black
The Neumann TLM193 is a large diaphragm microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. The microphone uses a transformerless circuit, featuring extremely low self noise and large dynamic range.
The polar response is very linear over a wide incidence angle. Thus, even signals coming from the side are reproduced faithfully and without coloration. The exposed surface of the microphone capsule is at ground potential, making it immune to typical interference and contamination. The microphone is supplied with a swivel mount.
The TLM 193 is a microphone with cardioid characteristic for professional recording and live applications. It is the ideal microphone for professional productions, for musicians and project studios.
The TLM 193 has a large diaphragm capsule with cardioid characteristic.
The TLM 193 is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo. The large diaphragm capsule inside the headgrille has a very smooth frequency response for all polar patterns over a wide acceptance angle. The curves are flat and parallel to the 0° frequency curve up to 10 kHz within a pickup angle of ± 100°.
The TLM 193 differs from omnidirectional pressure transducers, where, due to physical reasons, the diffuse-field and free-field responses never agree. This microphone has a very even diffuse-field response for all polar patterns. This is important in a reverberant environment, as more reflections arrive at the microphone from different directions.
The acoustic information is not affected in its tonal quality when recorded by the microphone. This characteristic is achieved without resorting to corrective resonance effects. Therefore, the microphone maintains an excellent impulse response reproducing all transient phenomena of music and speech without coloration.
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit.
As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Compared to other microphones the self noise level of the TLM 193 is considerably reduced. As it is capable of handling sound pressure levels up to 140 dB without distortion, the TLM 193 provides a dynamic range of 130 dB (A-weighted).
All exposed surfaces of the microphone capsule, including the diaphragms, are at ground potential. This technology makes them highly immune to electrical and atmospheric interference and contamination through microscopic dust particles.
The capsule is elastically mounted to avoid any structure borne noise that could interfere with its operation.
The frequency response of the TLM 193 amplifier is linear down to 20 Hz. Even very low bass signals are reproduced without coloration.
This implies that the microphone becomes more sensitive to subsonic frequencies, from structure borne noise or pop and wind noise.
Neumann TLM193 Features
- Large diaphragm cardioid microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer
- Transformerless circuitry
- Extremely low noise: 10 dB (A)
- Includes swivel mount
- The "plug and play" microphone for professional studios, musicians and homerecording applications
- High-quality professional equipment for mid-size budgets
In The Box
- Neumann TLM193
- SG2 Stand mount
- Wooden Box
- A universal cardioid mic
- Ideal for close miking of instruments with high sound pressure levels
- Announcer's mic for broadcasting/dubbing
- Home recording and project studios
- Vocalist recording
- Spot mic for wind instruments, strings, percussion, guitar amps
Neumann TLM193 Specifications
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohms: 18 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 21 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 10 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 73 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 84 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 140 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 13 dBu
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier (A-weighted): 130 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3 mA
- Matching connectors: XLR3F
- Weight: 480 g
- Diameter: 49 mm
- Length: 175 mm
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Neumann SKU SNEUTLM193 Model 008381 GTIN 4006087083819 Single or Pair N/A