Neumann KMS105D BK - Digital Vocal Condenser Stage Mic - Black
The Neumann KMS 105 D BK is a digital handheld condenser microphone featuring a cardioid response designed specifically for on-stage vocal use. The KMS 105D is the transition of the well-established KMS 105 analog microphones into the digital domain. Based on the AES42 standard, these microphones are an ideal choice for live and on-stage applications. Black Finish.
The KMS 105 D provides all of the features of the analog counterparts. Additionally, they offer the advantages of the digital circuit technology, such as extended dynamic range, a more robust operation (EMC safe) and the avoidance of clipping as a result of the integrated peak limiter/ compressor.
Use of one of the digital microphone interfaces together with the Remote Control Software (RCS) permits pre-programmed settings to be stored in the microphones.
The high acoustic resolution and smooth frequency response of the microphones ensure that the musician has optimal control of the stage performance at all times. Especially due to their low self-noise and crosstalk behavior which is free of coloration, the KMS microphones are ideal for use with in-ear monitoring systems.
With its supercardioid characteristic, the KMS 105 is particularly good at suppressing sounds originating from the entire 180° hemisphere behind the microphone.
The studio condenser capsules used in the microphone versions provide the basis for transmitting all the nuances of the human voice. In comparison with other handheld microphones, which operate mostly with dynamic capsules, the KMS series has a particularly high acoustic transparency, a wide frequency range and a fine resolution of transients.
In KMS microphones, carefully adjusted acoustic filters and transformerless impedance converters that can handle very high sound pressure levels prevent the microphones from being overloaded even by strong plosive sounds.
In spite of excellent pop protection, sibilants and "S" sounds are transmitted with their natural accentuation, as is possible only with condenser microphones. Furthermore, the above-mentioned acoustic filters are designed so that the distinctive directional characteristics of the capsules are preserved even in the bass range. The filters thus ensure a very high level of feedback protection for the KMS 104 vocal microphone when they are used with a stage sound system.
Since vocal microphones are typically addressed at close range, for the bass frequency response of the microphones, electronic compensation is used for the proximity effect in the respective capsules.
In addition, the microphone has an invariable, built-in high-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 120 Hz (–3 dB, measured in a free sound field). The dynamic range of the KMS microphones is 132 dB, and the maximum sound pressure level is 150 dB.
The low self-noise level of only 18 dB A permits the microphones to be used at high gain levels without the risk of additional noise. Even at large distances, the microphones thus operate with a high signal-to-noise ratio, facilitating the freedom of movement and creativity that are important to the artist.
Due to the transformerless output circuit, the microphone signals can be transmitted even through long cables without loss of sound.
Microphones designed for use on stage require a particularly robust construction. The KMS 104 therefore has thick-walled metal housings, which also provide effective protection against handling noise.
The microphone headgrilles are made of hardened steel. If required, they can easily be unscrewed to permit cleaning of the interior acoustic filters.
Neumann KMS105D BK Features
- Neumann sound on stage
- Excellent transparency for vocals/speech
- Supercardioid polar pattern with excellent feedback rejection
- Without off-axis coloration
- Effective pop shielding without any side effects
- Includes SG105 stand clamp & padded nylon bag
- The legendary Neumann sound in the digital realm. Pure Neumann capsule sound.
- The satisfaction of recording the uncolored original, with no "bottlenecks" between the capsule and the recording system.
- The guarantee of having one of the best A/D converters available.
- Anti-clipping processing ensures handling safety, and reduces stress.
- Reduced time requirements and personnel costs, particularly due to faster post production processing.
- Lower investment costs, since separate A/D converters and preamps are no longer needed. This also means space and weight savings (e.g. in the OB van).
Neumann KMS105D BK Specifications
- Acoustic transducer: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional characteristic: Supercardioid
- Frequency response: 60 Hz to 20 kHz
- Free-field sensitivity1): –47 dBFS
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR3): 27 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted3): 16 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio2), CCIR3): 67 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio2), A-weighted3): 78 dB
- Maximum SPL at 0 dBFS: 141 dBSPL
- Dynamic range, A-weighted4): 125 dB
- 44,1/48 kHz: 41 samples
- 88,2/96 kHz: 49 samples
- 176,4/192 kHz: 99 samples
- Sampling rates: 48 kHz
- Gain: 10 dB (variable with DMI-2)
- Compressor on, Attack time 100 ms, Release time 0.5 s, Threshold –10 dBFS, Ratio 2:1
- Supply voltage range: +6 V to +10.5 V
- Current consumption: max. 150 mA
- Weight: approx. 300 g, Diameter: 48 mm, Length: 180 mm
General Specifications of the Solution-D microphones
- Interface: AES42
- Remote controlled functions:
- Polar pattern4)
- Low-cut: flat, 40, 80, 160 Hz
- Pre-attenuation: 0 , -6, -12, -18 dB
- Gain: 0...63 dB in 1 dB steps, clickless
- Testsignal: 1 kHz, pink noise, white noise
- Sampling rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Parametric compressor/limiter (incl. de-esser function)
- Independent peak limiter avoiding any clipping
- Switch functions: soft muting, phase reverse, signal lights
- Signal lights: red4) and blue LEDs
- System functions, firmware download
- A/D conversion: Neumann process (patented), 28-bit internal word length
- Digital signal processing: Fixed-point, variable internal word length 28 bits to 60 bits
- Asynchronous operation (free-running, AES42 - Mode 1), basic frequency accuracy: ± 25 ppm
- Synchronous operation (AES42 - Mode 2), pulling range: Min. ± 100 ppm
- Power supply (phantom power complying with AES42)
- Output: XLR3M, 24 bits as per AES/EBU (AES3)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Neumann SKU SNEUKMS105DMT Model KMS105DBK GTIN 0639476315181 Single or Pair N/A