Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso Jr
The Empirical Labs EL-7 FATSO is a two channel Full Analog Tape Simulator/Optimizer with Knee Compressor that simulates classic recording elements like older tube gear, magnetic tape, and more, giving your sound a warmth, depth and immediacy that's hard to get with pure digital. Both channels offer four types of processing.
You get Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipper (Distortion generation), High Frequency Saturation, Transformer & Tape Head Emulation, and Classic Knee Compression. Best of all, the FATSO is a fully modern, digitally-controlled processor, so you get that analog tape sound without having to mess around with a real analog recorder. FATSO's operation is subtle; you won't hear this machine at work. All you'll hear is great sound.
EL-7 FATSO Features
- Owners of Adats, MDM's, RAM and modern hard disk recorders can finally put a stop to complaints about the 'coldness' and 'brittle edge' of their mixes and instruments with the 'rounded' and 'musically non linear elements' of vintage analog
- Audiophiles can bring back the warmth and cuddly sound of LP's and tapes to their CD players, and other digital reproduction mediums
- Four compression modes - One for tracking, one general purpose, one 'bus' compressor, and SPANK. All Linkable! Classic knee compressor sound that really grabs
- Spank is an additional limiter that musically smashes the dynamic range, and can be used to stop clipping before digital recorders. There is a subtle knee followed by hard limiting
- Soft clip features modeled after broadband tape saturation. Smooth clipping up to 20percent THD
- Switchable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like NEVE, API, etc. These artifacts include frequency 'rounding', low order clipping & intermodular distortion, transient clipping... and some other very musical non-linearities
- Distortion indicator lights - A 0 VU LED and a 'Pinned' (5percent) LED. No hard clipping until a few dB past 'Pinned'
- Sidechain output and input for eq-ing control signals
- Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to get a bad sound
- Switchable 110/220 volt operation - Extra fuse provided inside unit
- True bypass - Know what it's really doing. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability. No internal audio connectors
- XLR and 1/4 inch ins and outs - XLR fully balanced, transformerless design, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot
- No internal connectors, high reliability parts and military grade switches and relays
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Empirical Labs SKU SEMPFATSO Model SEMPFATSO GTIN NA