Universal Audio have unveiled their latest update to the Apollo range of Thunderbolt audio interfaces – Apollo X.
The new range features several upgrade and new features building on the success of the original and blackface versions. The new interfaces feature Thunderbolt 3 and are compatible with both Mac and PC machines, more DSP chips and processing power and improved ADDA conversion.
The new range is made up of:
- Apollo x6 - Two Unison mic preamps, 16 x 22 I/O; for electronic music and post production.
- Apollo x8 - Four Unison mic preamps, 18 x 24 I/O; for music production and live tracking.
- Apollo x8p - Eight Unison mic preamps, 18 x 22 I/O; for live tracking with more mics.
- Apollo x16 - 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connections; for commercial studios.
Track and mix with all-new elite class A/D and D/A conversion, HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing, authentic Unison mic preamp models from Neve, Manley, API, Helios and SSL, selectable +24 dBu operation, and surround sound monitoring.* All in a sleek Thunderbolt 3 interface for Mac or PC.
The X range features the powerful new HEXA Core processing with 6 UAD DSP chips – as opposed to 2 & 4 chips on the previous interfaces – and 50% more plug-in power allowing you to run more of UAD class-leading plug-ins.
Thunderbolt 3 is utilised on the Apollo X range offering compatibility with the latest computers, which also being backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 Macs via an adapter (available separately).
When using the Thunderbolt 3 connection with a laptop, power will be trickled down the connection and can actually charge your laptop at the same time.
Elite-Class A/D and D/A Conversion
To improve on the previous generation Apollo interfaces’ class-leading audio conversion, UA engineers obsessively auditioned the latest A/D and D/A converters — ultimately pairing elite-class 24-bit/192 kHz converters with all-new analogue circuitry for an ultra-pristine signal path.
New to the Apollo rack range is a built-in talkback mic to help further streamline the workflow.
New Universal Audio Apollo X Features
- Surround monitor controller up to 1 format*
- Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle featuring UA 610-B Tube Preamp Legacy Pultec EQ, LA-2A, and 1176 compressors; Marshall Plexi Classic; Ampeg SVT-VR Classic and more
- UAD HEXA Core processing onboard for additional mixing horsepower for Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, and other major DAWs
- Combine up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos and 6 total UAD devices; backward-compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 via optional adapter
- Selectable +24 dBu operation for easy compatibility with professional mixing consoles and tape machines
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Talkback mic, and assignable Dim or Mono
- Uncompromising UA analogue design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
*Surround support coming Q4 2018