The Aphex 1788A provides eight balanced Jensen transformer-coupled microphone inputs with two sets of analog outputs for each channel. The optional digital output module allows simultaneous output of 24 bit AES/EBU and ADAT Optical. Remote control of the 1788A from Avid and Yamaha consoles is possible with the Model 5200 MIDI / RS-422 to LAN Remote Control Interface.
LeNA, the patented digitally controlled Low Noise Amplifier, allows the 1788A’s input gain to be adjusted in ¼ dB steps, without noise or glitches.
The MicLim„ microphone limiter makes the 1788A virtually impervious to input clipping.This makes the 1788 the perfect front end to any DAW, digital recorder, or digital console.
By placing the 1788A close to the microphones and controlling it remotely, long mic level runs and the associated noise are eliminated. By providing up to five outputs (with the 1788A-1 Digital Option), that are usable simultaneously, the need for splitter boxes is essentially eliminated.
With a PC or Mac running the 1788SW controller software (Win 95/98/2000/XP® or Mac OS X® compatible), a screen which displays all parameters and metering of one unit at a time and up to 16 units may be called up displaying all channel status information and metering in real time that can be selected and modified. Up to 20 scenes can be saved, modified and recalled in the control software. The software also contains a ‘learn’ function in which the channel(s) adjust the preamp gain to a definable peak value based on the input level during the ‘learn’ time.
Digital Option – In addition to the analog outputs, the Model 1788A can have a 1788A-1 Digital Option installed with three digital outputs. Digital outputs appear on one DB15 connector and four BNC connectors for AES/EBU along with an optical output for the ADAT format. The analog to digital converters are 24 bit with selectable sampling rates. The sampling rates can be generated from an internal clock or an external source. The Model 1788 employs a drift stabilized A/D converter circuit which eliminates DC without incorporating a digital high pass filter. There is Word Clock input and output on BNC connectors.
Aphex 1788A Specifications
- Frequency Response: 10Hz – 38 kHz (± 0.5dB)
- Hum and Noise: -125 dBu EIN
- THD + N: .003% @ +4dBu out
- SMPTE IMD
- Microphone Inputs
- Connector: XLR-3F
- Type: Jensen Transformer coupled
- Impedance: Balanced, 1.6k ohms
- Maximum Input Level: +27 dBu (with 26dB pad engaged)
- CMRR: better than -99dB @ 60 Hz, -72 dB @10kHz
- Phantom Power: 48 VDC on pins 2 and 3
- Analog Outputs
- Connector: Main: (8) x XLR-3M; Aux: DB-25 (Tascam)
- Type: Main: Servo Balanced; Aux: Balanced
- Impedance: Balanced , 65 ohms
- Maximum Output Level: +27dBu
- Test Tone: 700 Hz 0dBfs, -20dBfs
- Headphones: 8-600 ohms recommended load impedance, mono or stereo
- Remote Control
- 1788SW Software (W95/98/2000): Full remote control functions, Full metering and preamp status, Select one of 16 units, Create, Save, Edit, Recall up to 60 presets, Assignable up to 20 scenes
- MIDI Controller: MIDI command protocol for full remote control, metering, and status
- Remote to 1788: RS232, RS422, MIDI
- Unit to unit linking: RS422 – up to 16 units can be controlled from one interface (128 channels)
- Remote Functions: Input Gain, Main Out Gain, Aux Out Gain, Polarity, Mute, Low Cut Filter, Mute, Pad, Phantom Power, Sample Clock, Test Tone, Group Assign, Snapshot, Recall Presets
- Power requirements: 90-260 VAC 50-60 Hz 60 W
- Dimensions: 19″W x 3.5″H x 13.58″ D2 Rack U (482.6mm x 88.9mm x 345mm)
- Net Weight: 17 lbs (7.7 kg)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Aphex SKU SAPH1788A Model Aphex 1788A GTIN N/A Single or Pair N/A