The AEA A440 is a professional ribbon microphone with the quietest self noise of all ribbon microphones. Under its classic looking body it combines the warmth and beauty of the classic 44 giving you amazing sonic characters. Due to it’s amazing sound reproduction the captured audio needs very little EQ and will implement it nicely when you want it apply any and is also free of resonances in the audible range. The A440 is unlike any other microphone on the market today, and no professional studio should be without one.
Like its passive cousin, the R44CX, the A440 is based on the RCA 44BX, but is phantom powered and uses a custom-made German transformer. The active electronics are inspired by AEA’s acclaimed TRP JFET preamp technology, providing a consistent sound immune to preamp loading. The A440 uses the same RCA NOS (new-old stock) ribbon element, only 1.8 microns thick, which is hand-cut from material originally manufactured for RCA. It features a museum-quality shell with a durable bronze investment cast yoke. Umber paint and a red medallion on the transformer case, and a bright nickel finish with polished brass accents are the icing on the cake for this piece of beauty.
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 15 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 136+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 21 mV/Pa (-33.5 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Self Noise: 9 dB(A)
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0 kΩ or greater
- Powering: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, –35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, –35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.185” (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35” (59.7 mm)
- Weight with Cable: 7 lb 9 oz (3.43 kg) in storage case with cable
- Height: 12.25” (31.1 cm)
- Width: 4.62” (11.7 cm)
- Depth: 3.25” (8.3 cm)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer AEA SKU SAEAA440 Model AEAA440 GTIN NA Single or Pair N/A
£1,918.00 (inc. vat) £1,598.33 (ex. vat)
£749.00 (inc. vat) £624.17 (ex. vat)
£300.00 (inc. vat) £250.00 (ex. vat)
This product is now discontinued
Contact us to discuss sourcing this or a similar product.