The Zoom F4 is a professional field recorder with 6-input/8-track recording, super-low-noise mic preamps, and time code with pinpoint accuracy.
By putting high-quality sound front and center, you've changed how audiences experience film. That's why Zoom created the F4. So professional quality sound is always within reach.
Super-low-noise microphone preamps
The F4 is equipped with our highest-quality mic preamps. Like the F8, the F4’s mic preamps enable pristine recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz. Its impressive audio specs include an extremely low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB), with +4 dB line-level inputs.
TCXO Time Code
For precise audio/video syncing, the F4 utilizes a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) that generates time code at 0.2 ppm accuracy—a first for this price point. The F4 supports all standard drop frame and non-drop formats, and can jam sync to time code provided by external devices. Standard BNC connectors enable easy integration into any rig.
Advanced onboard limiters
Advanced onboard limiters provide overload protection which lets you capture audio in a wide range of dynamic sound environments. Limiting can be applied to all four channels simultaneously at full resolution, with 10 dB of headroom and controls for setting threshold, attack, and release.
Rock-solid build and lightweight design
A compact metal chassis makes the F4 both rugged and durable, and keeps its weight down to just 2.27 pounds without batteries.
With four XLR/TRS combo inputs, a 3.5mm stereo input, and a Zoom mic capsule input, the F4 can record up to six discrete tracks with an additional stereo mix track—all at resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
Input 5/6 can be used as a camera return for monitoring only. This allows you to monitor audio being sent to the camera for confidence checks.
Dual SD card recording
A dual SD card recording feature lets you record simultaneously on two SD/SDHC/SDXC cards* (up to 512 GB each). This means you can instantly back up or split recordings. For example, you can save eight tracks on one card and a stereo mix on another.
The F4 periodically saves files while recording, providing an extra level of protection from unexpected file interruptions like power loss or sudden SD card removal.
Dual-channel recording mode lets you create safety tracks for inputs 1 and 2, each with independent level, limiting, delay, phase inversion, and high-pass filtering.
Built-in shortcuts allow easy access to important menus and features. Hold the front panel OPTION button for access to TC Jam, Trim Link, Clear Clip and other important shortcuts.
Three power sources
Power up your F4 with 8 AA batteries or an external DC battery pack with a converter cable connector. The F4 also includes a Zoom AD-19 power supply and a DC-HIROSE adapter which serves as a third power option.
Add Two Additional Mic/Line Inputs
The F4 is outfitted with a 10-pin Zoom mic capsule input to expand your recording capabilities even further. Connecting the optional EXH-6 XLR/TRS Combo Input Capsule adds two extra mic/line inputs to your F4, giving you a total of six discrete XLR/TRS combo inputs.
Zoom Interchangeable Mic Capsules (Not Included)
Use the proprietary Zoom capsule input to connect any of the available Zoom mic capsules—such as the SGH-6 Shotgun Mic Capsule or the XYH-6 Stereo X/Y Mic Capsule—to add an on-board microphone to your F4. The optional ECM extension cable allows for remote positioning of all capsules.
The F4 features four discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors. Each input provides a dedicated preamp with gain control knob, phantom power, a six-segment LED level meter, and a Record Ready and PFL switch. The 1/8" stereo input or the Zoom mic capsule input can provide input for tracks 5 and 6. The F4 also includes a variable-frequency slate tone generator to confirm levels.
In addition to the 1/4” headphone jack with dedicated volume control, the F4 provides four other outputs. Two Main Outs (on balanced XLR jacks) let you connect to external mixers and processing devices. Two Sub Outs (on a single unbalanced 1/8" stereo mini-jack) enable easy connection to a camera. The front panel OUTPUT button allows easy access to output levels and routing.
Time code and USB connections
Time code I/O is provided on BNC connectors. The USB port facilitates firmware updates and file transfer. It also allows the F4 to be used as a 6-in/4-out USB audio interface with sample rates up to 96 kHz.
An LCD For All Lighting Conditions
An easy-to-read 1.9-inch white backlit monochromatic LCD display makes the F4 suitable for all lighting environments—from low light to direct sunlight. It also performs well in harsh conditions, like dusty and hard-to-see environments.
Monitor Your Recordings
Flexible options help you easily monitor recordings in the field. Route any input, as well as the stereo track (pre- or post-fader), to the left or right headphone channels. A built-in 100 mW headphone amplifier provides plenty of volume for noisy environments. You can even set headphone alert tones for low battery, recording start/stop, or recording errors.
Onboard Mixer And Effects
An onboard mixer allows for flexible signal routing from all inputs to all outputs (pre- or post-fader) with user-adjustable level, pan, and input/output delay. Built-in limiters can be applied to all channels and tracks simultaneously. The F4 also includes built-in high-pass filtering to reduce the sound of wind and other noise, plus phase inversion and Mid-Side decoding.
The F4 records in BWF-compatible WAV format at 16-bit or 24-bit resolution, and at any standard sample rate up to 192 kHz. When recording MP3 files, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320 kbps.
Easy to Navigate Menus and Metadata
Thanks to simple menu navigation, cataloging with the F4 is easy and straightforward. The F4 features a simple file structure and allows you to enter extensive metadata (both BWF and iXML) directly onto the device.
Includes Recording and Editing Software
The F4 comes with free download licenses for Steinberg’s Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, representing a complete audio production toolkit.
Currently shipping with:
- Cubase LE8 for Mac OS X 10.9/10.10/10.11 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
- WaveLab LE9 for Mac OS X 10.10/10.11 and Windows 7/8/8.1/10
Features at a glance
- 6-input/8-track multitrack field recorder with integrated mixer
- 6 discrete inputs, including with 4 locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors,
- a stereo 3.5mm input, and Zoom mic capsule input
- Input 5/6 can be used as a camera return for monitoring only.
- Compact and lightweight metal chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
- High-quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and
- +4 dB line inputs
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, and
- 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate time code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; drop frame/non-drop
- formats with Jam Sync
- Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack
- with 4-pin HIROSE connector, and Zoom AD-19 12V AC Adapter with
- DHC-1 DC-HIROSE cable (included)
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for
- each channel
- Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every preamp
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to
- 10 frames per output
- Compatible with all Zoom mic capsules; optional ECM extender cable
- enables remote positioning
- Dedicated headphone output (100 mW) with front panel volume control
- Dual XLR balanced Main Outs plus 1/8" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Front panel OPTION button gives quick access to important shortcuts
- 1.9” white, backlit monochrome LCD
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date,
- project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
- Use as a 6-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- The F4 can also be mounted to a tripod and attached to your
- camera using the included mounting bracket.
*The F4 does not have Bluetooth capabilities and is not compatible with the Zoom F8 iOS app.
In the Box
- Camera mount adapter
- Zoom AD-19 12V AC Adapter
- DHC-1 DC-HIROSE cable
- Cubase LE and WaveLab LE download codes
- Operation manual
- Connectors: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- XLR input gain: +10 – +75 dB
- XLR input impedance: 3.0 kΩ or more
- XLR maximum input level: +14 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)
- XLR phantom power: +24/+48V 10mA maximum for each channel
- TRS input gain: −10 – +55 dB
- TRS input impedance: 22 kΩ or more
- TRS maximum input level: +24 dBu (at 0 dBFS, limiter ON)
- Equivalent input noise: −127 dBu or less, (A-weighted, +75 dB input gain, 150Ω input)
- Frequency characteristics: 10 Hz – 80 kHz +0.5 dB/−1.5 dB (192 kHz sampling rate)
- A/D dynamic range: 120 dB typ (−60 dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Crosstalk: −90 dB or less (between adjacent channels, 1 kHz)
- MIC IN: ZOOM mic capsule input (use disables Inputs 5/6)
- RTN in connectors: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output jack
- RTN in reference input level: +10 dBV (Level: -10 dBV setting), +4 dBu (Level: +4 dBu setting)
- RTN in input impedance: 10k Ω or more
- RTN in maximum input level: -10 dBV (Level: -10 dBV setting), +24 dBu (Level: +4 dBu setting)
- Outputs: XLR balanced output (2: hot), 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output jack, 1/4" unbalanced stereo output jack
- D/A dynamic range: 106 dB typical (−60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Supported formats: 44.1/47.952/48/48.048/88.2/96/192kHz,16/24-bit, mono/stereo/2-10 ch poly, BWF and iXML
- Main unit size: 7.0 in. (W) × 5.5 in. (D) × 2.1 in. (H)
- Main unit weight: 2.27 pounds (Without batteries)
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Zoom SKU SZOOF4 Model F4 GTIN 0884354016890
£2,310.00 (inc. vat) £1,925.00 (ex. vat)
£2,520.00 (inc. vat) £2,100.00 (ex. vat)
£3,120.00 (inc. vat) £2,600.00 (ex. vat)
£976.99 (inc. vat) £814.16 (ex. vat)
£589.00 (inc. vat) £490.83 (ex. vat)
£902.00 (inc. vat) £751.67 (ex. vat)