Telefunken AR-70 Stereo Valve Microphone
The Telefunken AR-70 STEREO is an advanced stereo version of the AR-51 tube condenser microphone. It features a matched pair of large diaphragm dual sided TK51D capsules, a New Old Stock (NOS) ECC81 vacuum tube, and a matched pair of German built Haufe T14/1 output transformers that are the same transformers found in ELA M 250/251, C12 and R-F-T AR-51 microphones.
The AR-70 STEREO includes one fixed cardioid capsule on the bottom, and on top, a capsule wired for remote multi-polar pattern capabilities. This allows the microphone to perform multiple stereo recording techniques, as well as a standard single channel monophonic recording, all in one package. In stereo mode, the AR-70 STEREO can be set up in a standard X/Y configuration, with each capsule orientated 90 degrees away from each other, resulting in a perfectly co-incidental pair.
With the option of the multi-pattern functionality of the top capsule, the microphone can also be used in Mid-Side (M/S) technique, where the lower capsule is fixed in cardioid, and the upper capsule is rotated 90 degrees and set to the Figure 8 polar pattern.
One of the most unique ways to use the AR-70 STEREO is in "dual mono" mode, which can lead to all kinds of interesting textures for vocals. By running the outputs into two different microphone pre-amplifiers, the user can now have one capsule set up to sound its best on quieter passages in a vocal and the other for louder passages. If the user runs about 10dB more gain on the microphone pre-amplifier for the capsule that is set up to record quiet passages, then both outputs can be recorded separately and blended later; or a compression device can be used on the pre-amplifier that is set up for the quieter passages which will net about 12-15dB of gain reduction as the singer gets louder. These two outputs can be summed and the resulting signal will maintain a relatively constant level while being automatically combined for optimal capture of the performance.
- Telefunken AR-70 Stereo microphone
- M970AR power supply
- M801 25' dual-shielded TX-7 tube microphone cable
- M701 elastic shock mount
- FC70 locking flight case
- Wooden microphone box
- Type: Condenser Pressure Gradient
- Capsule: TK-51D
- Frequency Range: 20Hz / 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Omni, Carioid and Figure 8 with 6 intermediate stages on the top, cardioid on the bottom
- Sensitivity: 13 mV/pa +/- 0.5 dB
- THD at 1kHz at 1Pa: <0.2% Per Channel
- Output Impedance: <250 ohms
- Maximum SPL: 128dB
- Non Linear Distortion: Less than or equal to 0.5% at 100 dyne / cm sq
- Self Noise: 8.5dBA Per Channel
- Tube Type: GE 6201
- Power Type: Dedicated 2-channel power supply with slow-ramping filament voltage and polar pattern selector
- Size: 9 1/2" (241mm) length x 1 3/4" (44.45mm) diameter
- Weight: 27oz (765g)
- Supply Current: 1mA (120V) 250mA (6V)
- Connected Via: XLR-7 (F), XLR-3 (M) output x2
- Supplied Accessories: Locking Flight Case, power supply, wooden mic box, clasping shock mount, 25' Accusound dual-shielded cable
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Telefunken SKU STEFAR70ST Model Telefunken AR-70 GTIN N/A