The Tascam DR-70D is a compact audio recorder that allows the aspiring DSLR user to create audio recordings in very high quality in parallel to their film or video shots. The recorder can be mounted directly between a tripod and the camera or on top of the camera, resulting in a compact package.
With its two built-in microphones, the DR-70D is instantly ready for use in standard situations. In addition, it provides four XLR/TRS combo jacks which can be used to record four channels of audio with excellent sound quality using professional microphones. Thanks to a camera output the recorder’s stereo signal can be recorded also on the camera to ease subsequent editing of the material in combination with the slate tone function of the recorder. On the other hand you can use the camera input to monitor the audio of the camera using the recorder.
Features of the DR-70D include overload-resistant, great-sounding preamps with switchable low-cut filter and limiter, handling of microphone signals in mid/side format, 24- or 48-volts phantom power for condenser mics, as well as many common and not so common functions that facilitate capturing, monitoring and subsequent processing of the audio tracks.
Tascam DR-70D Features
- Designed for use with video and DSLR cameras and can be screwed to the bottom of a DSLR camera with jacks and controls that stay out of the way
- Simplified interface with controls on hardware switches and knobs instead of menus, for quick adjustment during a take
- Dual record function captures a safety track to have a backup in case of distortion
- Tascam's HDDA microphone preamps which are designed for low noise, low distortion, and full-bandwidth
- BWAV format capture for NLE compatibility
- Limiter and high-pass filter prevent wind or mic bumps from overdriving the recording
- Microphone level camera output allows you to record the same audio to the camera for easy synchronization in your editor
- Records to SD/SDHC/SDXC media
- Individual headphone and camera outputs allows you to monitor recording with headphones while sending another output to the camera
- Slate function records a tone for precise synchronization between DR-70D and camera audio in post
- 4-track recording records from four XLR microphone inputs
- Built-in omnidirectional microphones allow you to record without packing mics
- Runs on 4 AA batteries