The Sonifex RB-SL2 is a stereo, or twin independent mono, VCA limiter for use in news-rooms and other locations where the correct level into recording equipment is required, but not necessarily under the control of an engineer, for example, for overload protection. It can also be used as an inexpensive main output limiter for small scale radio stations, hospital radio and student radio.
The XLR-3 electronically balanced inputs and outputs can be wired unbalanced to accept an output from domestic equipment.
For each channel there is an input gain and a threshold level control. With the limit threshold set to maximum, the input through to output can be normalised using the input potentiometers. Once the unit is acting as a buffer with gain/attenuation, the limit threshold level can be set, with the recovery adjusted for the application. The power LED indicates limiting by flashing.
The rear panel mode switch changes the unit from dual mono to stereo, when only the pre-sets for channel 1 (left) are active and apply to both channels. Stereo limiting operates by limiting both left and right outputs if either left or right input needs to be limited. Dual mono limiting operates by limiting left and right signals individually, so you can use the RB-SL2 as two separate mono limiters.
Sonifex RB-SL2 Specifications
- Maximum Input Level: +28dBu
- Maximum Output Level: +28dBu
- Input Gain: Adjustable -8dB to +18dB gain
- Limit Threshold: Adjustable -8dBu to +28dBu
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz ±0.1dB (600Ω load, ref 1kHz)
- Noise: -100dB unity gain, ref +8dBu output
- Distortion: 0.01% THD @ 1kHz, ref +8dBu output, threshold set at +10dBu
- Common Mode Rejection: >66dB typically
- Input Impedance: >20kΩ balanced bridging
- Output Impedance: <50Ω balanced
- Inputs: 2 x XLR 3 pin female (Balanced, can be unbalanced)
- Outputs: 2 x XLR 3 pin male (Balanced, can be unbalanced)
- Mains Input: Filtered IEC, switchable 110-120V, or 220-240V, fused, 6W max
- Fuse Rating:
- Anti-surge fuse 100mA 20 x 5mm (230VAC)
- Anti-surge fuse 250mA 20 x 5mm (115VAC)
- 28cm (W) x 10.8cm (D) x 4.2cm (H) (1U)
- 11” (W) x 4.3” (D) x 1.7” (H) (1U)
- Nett: 1.0kg Gross: 1.45kg
- Nett: 2.2lbs Gross: 3.2lbs