Ideal for the transfer of digital audio between different digital equipment, the Sonifex RB-SC1 Sample Rate Converter standardises the sample rate of a digital audio signal to one of 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz, or to a synchronising input. Both audio inputs and outputs have push-button switches to select either AES/EBU or S/PDIF. The synchronising input can be selected from one of AES/EBU, S/PDIF or TTL word clock.
There are four modes of operation of the RB-SC1 dependent on how you want to synchronise the output to the input :
In this mode the digital output sample rate is simply set by, and locked to, the internal on-board clock generator. No sync signal is used or required.
Auto Sync Mode
In this mode the digital output sample rate follows the sync input. When the sync signal is not present the output sample rate will be set by, and locked to, the internal on-board clock generator at a frequency determined by the switch position.
Auto Lock Mode
In this mode no output will be generated until lock is achieved with a sync signal. The digital output sample rate now follows the sync input. If the sync signal is removed then the output sample rate will be set by, and locked to, the internal on-board clock generator at the closest frequency available to the previous sync input.
In this mode the digital output sample rate follows the sync input. When the sync signal is not present the digital output is turned off.
There are also switches available to define the content of the channel status bits embedded within the digital audio stream. The channel status bits will be forced to Professional Mode for sample rates above 48kHz as they are not supported by the Consumer Mode. For sample rates of 32kHz, 44.1kHz and 48kHz, the status bits can be either set to follow the input signal type, or can be forced to either Professional or Consumer Mode.
As well as indicating that power is present on the unit, the LED on the front panel has a secondary role to indicate the status of the digital inputs. Fast flashing between red and amber indicates a loss of a digital input signal and slow flashing between red and amber indicates the absence of a synchronising input when not in Master Mode.
Sonifex RB-SC1 Sample Rate Converter Specifications
- Dynamic Range: 120dB
- Distortion and Noise: -114dB THD + N at 1kHz, ref 0dB FS
- Input Impedance:
- 75Ω S/PDIF inputs
- 110Ω AES/EBU input
- 50Ω BNC TTL word clock input
- Sample Frequency Range: Master rates of 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz, or can synchronise to incoming 32kHz to 100kHz sample rate
- Bit Depth: Up to and including 24 bit
Rear Panel Connections and Controls
- 2 x AES/EBU XLR 3 pin female (audio and sync)
- 2 x S/PDIF RCA phono (audio and sync)
- 1 x TTL BNC female (sync)
- 1 x AES/EBU XLR 3 pin male
- 1 x S/PDIF RCA phono
- Input Select: Push-button switch between AES/EBU and S/PDIF
- Output Select: Push-button switch between AES/EBU and S/PDIF
- Sync Select: Push-button switch between AES/EBU and S/PDIF, with DIP switch selection between TTL and the other two inputs.
- Operational Modes: Master mode, auto sync mode, auto lock mode and slave mode, set via rotary switch
- Status Bits: Forced to consumer mode, professional mode, or set to follow input with DIP switch selection.
- Mains Input: Filtered IEC, continuously rated 85-264VAC @ 47-63Hz, max 10W
- Fuse Rating:
- Anti-surge fuse 100mA 20 x 5mm (230VAC)
- Anti-surge fuse 250mA 20 x 5mm (115VAC)
- 28cm (W) x 10.8cm (D) x 4.2cm (H) (1U)
- 11” (W) x 4.3” (D) x 1.7” (H) (1U)
- Net: 1.0kg Gross: 1.4kg
- Net: 2.2lbs Gross: 3.1lbs