Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MKII
The Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4 MKII is a professional Microphone Preamp and DI with -30dB input pad, High Pass Filter and Class A inputs built into a 1U sized unit so you can easily integrate this outboard gear into your studio. This Preamp allows a vast variety of sounds, useful for everything from clean high-headroom mix buss tone shaping to deep frequency carving to smooth Class-A circuit saturation.
A Versatile, Modern Class-A Mic Preamp/DI
The Phoenix DRS Mic Preamp/DIs take a modern approach to Class-A circuit design that delivers a wide range of tones without sacrificing the beloved vibe of true Class-A design. The unique DRS circuit can go from ultra-clean sounds suitable for audiophile recordings all the way to the warm, saturated tones reminiscent of the UK's most heralded vintage designs. Versatility and superior sound have made the DRS Preamp/DI a top-tier choice for engineers around the world and a modern day classic.
Hi-Fi Transformerless Mic Input Stage
Phoenix Audio’s exclusive electronically-balanced, transformerless mic input circuit delivers fast transients and the full frequency spectrum (from sub-bass to the highest air band), while still delivering the full, warm and smooth characteristics that make engineers love Class-A mic preamps. Boldly outperforming transformer-based designs in both the frequency response and slew rate, the DRS delivers articulate, punchy and full-bodied input signals, allowing you to drive the output stage for a vast range of pure Class-A tones—from bold clarity to vintage warmth, and everything in-between.
Legendary Transformer-Balanced Output Stage
Phoenix Audio’s custom-wound DB694 output transformer is coupled to Phoenix's proprietary, fully discrete DSOP-2 output amplifier. The DSOP-2 is a direct descendent of the venerable TF1 amp which Phoenix's head-designer, David Rees, developed as an upgrade for vintage Neve modules. Going beyond the TF1, the DSOP2 is the pinnacle of Class-A output circuit design, offering up a smooth transition from ultra-clean to beautifully saturated tones.
Ultra-High Impedance DI Circuit
The DRS-1, DRS-2, DRS-8 and DRS1R-500 include very high input impedance DI circuits (10Mohm)—remarkably featuring no FETs—on every channel. This design means that guitar and bass pickups are not loaded, allowing the natural sound of both modern and vintage instruments to shine and actually enhancing the sound, sparkle and growl as if they were plugged into your favourite amp. Synths, drum machines, and even laptops can likewise be sweetened by the DRS's DI.
Easy and Intuitive In The Studio
Because you're working with a clean, robust, electronically-balanced input signal, the DRS Mic Preamp/DI makes dialing in your exact sound easy, intuitive and quick. By working the familiar stepped input gain control (up to 70db alone) and the -30dB pad against the variable output fader (which provides an additional 10dB of gain), you can dial in your preferred tones without having to consider an overly complex gain architecture. It's all about driving the versatile DSOP-2 output stage to your exacting tastes, whatever they may be in any given moment. Like so many other engineers, you'll find yourself reaching for the DRS Mic Preamp/DI over and over again to reliably deliver a vast array of outstanding sounds for any instrument or voice you're recording.
- 1U unit: With 240V/110V mains voltage input selector switch
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB,
- Maximum Output Level: +26dBu @ 1kHz
- Noise: -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Output connections: XLR and TSR 1/4″ Jack on rear
- Microphone/Line input: XLR on Rear Panel
- DI inputs: ¼” TS Jack on Front Panel
- Individual Earth Lift: Push-button Switches
- Gain Range (Mic input): -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the fader.
- Gain reduction: -30dB push-button Mic/Line switch (Mic input)
- High Input Impedance DI: Mono 1/4″ Jack on front panel (no FETs)
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. (Green = 0dB, Yellow = +8dB, corresponding to “4” and “6” on a PPM Meter).
- Phantom Power: Switchable phantom on Push-button Switch
- High Pass Filter: Roll-off starts at 120Hz @ 12dB per Octave.
- Phase Reverse: on Push-button Switch
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz
- Frequency Response: DI Input Stage: -0.3dB @ 40Hz, – 0.5dB @ 25kHz
- Typical Headroom: +26dB on Mic-Pre stage
- Gyratory-based EQ Frequency Centres: (4 Bands) High – 15K, 10K, Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6, Low Mid – 800Hz, 400Hz, 200Hz, Low – 130Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels: 16dB Cut/Boost Per Band with fully detented pots in 21 positions
- DI Stage gain: Maximum of 30dB
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Phoenix SKU SPHEDRSQ4MK2 Model DRSQ4MK2 GTIN NA
£725.00 (inc. vat) £604.17 (ex. vat)
£720.00 (inc. vat) £600.00 (ex. vat)
£1,199.52 (inc. vat) £999.60 (ex. vat)
£1,905.12 (inc. vat) £1,587.60 (ex. vat)
£1,266.00 (inc. vat) £1,055.00 (ex. vat)
£2,110.80 (inc. vat) £1,759.00 (ex. vat)