Neumann KMS 104 - Nickel
The Neumann KMS 104 is a handheld condenser microphone featuring a cardioid response designed specifically for on-stage vocal use. The high acoustic resolution and smooth frequency response of the microphones ensure that the musician has optimal control of the stage performance at all times. Nickel Finish.
Especially due to their low self-noise and crosstalk behavior which is free of coloration, the KMS microphones are ideal for use with in-ear monitoring systems.
With its supercardioid characteristic, the KMS 105 is particularly good at suppressing sounds originating from the entire 180° hemisphere behind the microphone.
The KMS 104 has a condenser microphone capsule with a cardioid directional characteristic which provides the best possible suppression of sounds originating from behind the microphone.
The studio condenser capsules used in the microphone versions provide the basis for transmitting all the nuances of the human voice. In comparison with other handheld microphones, which operate mostly with dynamic capsules, the KMS series has a particularly high acoustic transparency, a wide frequency range and a fine resolution of transients.
In KMS microphones, carefully adjusted acoustic filters and transformerless impedance converters that can handle very high sound pressure levels prevent the microphones from being overloaded even by strong plosive sounds.
In spite of excellent pop protection, sibilants and "S" sounds are transmitted with their natural accentuation, as is possible only with condenser microphones. Furthermore, the above-mentioned acoustic filters are designed so that the distinctive directional characteristics of the capsules are preserved even in the bass range. The filters thus ensure a very high level of feedback protection for the KMS 104 vocal microphone when they are used with a stage sound system.
Since vocal microphones are typically addressed at close range, for the bass frequency response of the microphones, electronic compensation is used for the proximity effect in the respective capsules.
In addition, the microphone has an invariable, built-in high-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 120 Hz (–3 dB, measured in a free sound field). The dynamic range of the KMS microphones is 132 dB, and the maximum sound pressure level is 150 dB.
The low self-noise level of only 18 dB A permits the microphones to be used at high gain levels without the risk of additional noise. Even at large distances, the microphones thus operate with a high signal-to-noise ratio, facilitating the freedom of movement and creativity that are important to the artist.
Due to the transformerless output circuit, the microphone signals can be transmitted even through long cables without loss of sound.
Microphones designed for use on stage require a particularly robust construction. The KMS 104 therefore has thick-walled metal housings, which also provide effective protection against handling noise.
The microphone headgrilles are made of hardened steel. If required, they can easily be unscrewed to permit cleaning of the interior acoustic filters.
Neumann KMS104 Features
- Neumann sound on stage
- Excellent transparency for vocals/speech
- Cardioid polar pattern with excellent feedback rejection
- Without off-axis coloration
- Transformerless output
- Effective pop shielding without any side effects
- Includes SG105 stand clamp & padded nylon bag
Neumann KMS104 Specifications
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 4.5 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 28 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 18 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 66 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 76 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 150 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 12 dBu
- Dyn. range of the mic. amplifier (A-weighted): 132 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 1938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 1938): 3.5 mA
- Matching connector: XLR3F
- Weight: approx. 300 g
- Diameter: 48 mm
- Length: 180 mm
- Additional Information
Manufacturer Neumann SKU SNEUKMS104 Model 008548 GTIN 4006087085486