Neumann KM184-D Stereo Set - Cardioid Microphones - Nickel
The Neumann KM 184-D Stereo Set contains a pair of Nickel finish KK 184 cardioid capsules and KM D digital output stages, two stand mounts, two WNS 100 windscreens and a protective wooden box.
The Neumann KM 184 D is a part of the modular KM A / KM D miniture microphone system from Neumann. The KM184-D consists of a KK 184 cardioid capsule and a KM D output stage, both in a nickel finish.
The modular KM A / KM D miniature microphone system is a further development of the successful KM 100 series. The newly developed passive capsule design is available with 8 different directional characteristics, and can be combined modularly as desired with an analog (KM A) or digital (KM D) output stage in accordance with the AES 42 standard. The new, considerably smaller microphone capsules and an extensive program of accessories permit excellent adaptation of the microphone system to a wide range of applications.
Through the use of the most up-to-date electronic components the system offers many electroacoustic and operational advantages, such as lower self-noise, a wider dynamic range and very high immunity to electromagnetic interference. The acoustics of the capsules were taken from the proven KM 100 system.
KM D Output Stage
The KM D digital output stage converts the signal from the capsule directly into a digital signal. The result is an AES/EBU signal with 24 bits and a large dynamic range. The integrated digital signal processor (DSP) permits remote control of the microphones, including the digital gain, pre-attenuation (6 dB, 12 dB or 18 dB) and low-cut filter (0 Hz, 40 Hz, 80 Hz or 160 Hz). An integrated peak limiter and compressor/limiter with additional de-esser function prevents any overloading of the audio signal.
The dimensions (diameter 22 mm, length 93 mm) of the analog and digital output stages are identical. As a result, all accessories can be used in combination with both output stages.Upon request, a mechanical adapter can be supplied to adapt microphone capsules of the KM 100 system (AK series) to the KM A and KM D output stages.
The modular solution permits the microphone capsule to be separated from the output stage by a distance of up to 100 m. The LC 4 microphone cable with a length of 5 or 10 meters is available as a standard solution. Alternatively, capsule extensions of different lengths, swivel joints and stand mounts, etc., can be used for a flexible system setup.
The capsule heads KK 183, KK 184 or KK 185, together with the appropriate output stage, are also available as a set, in which case they are referred to as KM 183 A, KM 183 D, etc.
Neumann KM184-D Features
- Miniature microphones with 8 exchangeable capsules, compatible with the analog miniature microphone system KM A
- Set includes windshield and clamp
- Extensive accessories
- TRUE NEUMANN SOUND: The legendary Neumann sound in the digital realm. Pure Neumann capsule sound.
- TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL: The satisfaction of recording the uncolored original, with no "bottlenecks" between the capsule and the recording system.
- TRUE CONVERSION: The guarantee of having one of the best A/D converters available.
- TRUE HANDLING SAFETY: Anti-clipping processing ensures handling safety, and reduces stress.
- TRUE TIME SAVINGS: Reduced time requirements and personnel costs, particularly due to faster post production processing.
- TRUE ECONOMY: Lower investment costs, since separate A/D converters and preamps are no longer needed. This also means space and weight savings (e.g. in the OB van).
In The Box
- KM 184 D Microphone
- WNS 100 Windscreen
- SG 21 bk Stand mount swivel
- Wooden box
- For universal use, especially for recording situations when it is necessary to attenuate off-axis sound (mainly from the rear) from other nearby instruments.
- As XY and ORTF stereo pair
- Broadcasting mic for announcers
- Spot mic and overhead
- Close miking of strings, wind instruments, percussion, piano, Leslie speakers and guitar amps
Neumann KM184-D Specifications
- Acoustic operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity1): -39 dBFS
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR3): 24 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted3): 13 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio2) CCIR3): 69 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio2) A-weighted3): 81 dB
- Max SPL at 0 dBFS: 133 dB
- Max SPL with 18 dB preatt.: 151 dB
- Latency 44,1/48 kHz (samples): 41
- Latency 88,2/96 kHz (samples): 49
- Latency 176,4/192 kHz (samples) AES 3: 99
- Current consumption: max. 150 mA (DPP)
- Weight output stage: 70 g
- Weight capsule: 11g
- Diameter: 22 mm
- Length: 108 mm