The WAVE is a unique product combining a killer 24/96 Digital to Analog Converter with a full-featured audiophile analog vacuum tube preamplifier. It is one of the very few products equally at home as the heart of a professional Mastering studio facility as it is as the centerpiece of an audiophile home system. The combination of features and functions came about from analyzing existing systems and finding them functional but lacking in elegance in signal flow, operational convenience, and synergy.
The digital board used in the first generation units, (the "First Waves" as it were) was designed around the ULTRAANALOG 20-bit DACs, the AES-21 jitter reduction input module, and the Pacific Microsonics HDCD decoder. This chipset ruled the 1990's audiophile digital world. In early 2002 we commissioned an excellent 24 bit, 96KHz DAC board design from talented designer Fred Forssell for the second generation units, in current production as of this writing. The WAVE accepts four digital inputs in the following formats: AES, SPDIF, TOSLINK, and ST Glass Fiber. The four analog inputs come as stock 2 RCA + 2 XLR.
Other configurations can be custom-ordered as desired. To provide extra flexibility in system integration, we have included an Insert Loop (term borrowed from the recording studio world) perhaps more commonly referred to as a Tape Loop or Processor Loop in Audiophile-land. Three outputs are provided: outputs 2 and 3 can be switched; output 1 is always on.
Manley Wave Features
- 24 Bit 96KHz Digital to Analog Converter Board
- Totally DUAL MONO design
- Vacuum tube output stage (2 x 12AX7EH, 2 x 7044 JAN NOS USA)
- BALANCED and UNBALANCED outputs x 3
- BALANCED and UNBALANCED analog inputs x 4
- Motorized ALPS quad-attenuator volume control
- 4 x switchable digital inputs AES, SPDIF, ST, Toslink
- 1 x SPDIF digital output pass-through
- 4 x switchable ANALOG inputs balanced & unbalanced
- Tape/Processor Loop = INSERT SEND & RECEIVE on unblanced RCA jacks as standard, balanced XLR's by request
- Remote Control controls the whole faceplate
- Separate outboard Power Supply Unit
- Outboard Power Supply is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: 120 to 240VAC operation changeable with power transformer re-wiring via internal switch and fuse value change. 100VAC operation changeover achieved via rewiring of power transformer PCB.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Mains Fuse Value: 1.5A SLO-BLO for 100 or 120V operation
- Mains Fuse Value: 0.75A SLO-BLO for 220V-240V operation
- Power consumption: 0.8A @ 120V = 96 watts
- Dimensions: 19" W x 5.25" H x 13" D
- Unit Weight: WAVE = 23 lbs.; PSU = 15 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 49 lbs.