The MANLEY GOLD REFERENCE MULTI-PATTERN MICROPHONES are a statement, quite simply, of the finest microphones that money can buy in the pursuit of truly accurate musical recordings. The Gold Reference Series employ our own design of large capsules (1.25 inch overall, 1 inch diaphragm diameter) which are executed to precise tolerances made possible by modern micro-milling machinery available today in California. The capsule rings and back-plates are milled from solid brass.
The gold diaphragm film comes from Germany and is tensioned using proprietary techniques by David Josephson ensuring capsule-to-capsule constancy, combined with the speed, "air", and superb ultra-high frequency response you have only dreamt about.
The all-tube electronics in the MANLEY REFERENCE SERIES MICROPHONES are built around two triodes in cascade forming an entire gain-block. We have recently switched to a dual-triode 12AX7WA, easily obtainable and replaceable, mounted in a ceramic socket. (We used to use 6072A until it became impossible to find quiet ones out of the NOS dreck left on the market.)
The output is coupled through a MANLEY output transformer of unparalleled quality and substantial physical size employing nickel laminations with "hum bucking" bi-filar windings, encased in mu-metal. The polar pattern control is continuously variable between the OMNI, CARDIOID, and FIGURE 8 positions vastly increasing this mic's versatility. The Gold Mics make it possible to exactly tailor the proximity effect to achieve the desired character.
Gold Reference Microphone Features
- All Tube design
- -10dB switchable PAD
- Sensitivity: 17mV/Pa
- Noise: typically -120 dB EIN
- Max SPL: 150dB
- Actual output impedance 200 ohms
- Weight: 2.25 Lbs.
- Selected matched pairs available
- Custom transformerless internal preamp version also available to order
- Outboard Power Supply is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage changeable with power transformer re-wiring via switch and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz