The Model 2032 Microphone Preamplifier / Parametric Equalizer is a single-channel, multi-input device for high-resolution studio and remote applications. Incorporating the renowned 8300 preamplifier and reference-standard 8200 equalizer, the Model 2032 inherits over thirty years of GML engineering excellence. This transparent class-A discrete design with internal supply delivers reliability, musicality, and precision.
The preamplifier section of the Model 2032 Microphone Preamplifier / Parametric Equalizer is based on the gain stage of the Model 8300 Transformerless Microphone Preamplifier, though there are some design changes and a few additions to expand its capabilities further than is realized in the highly specialized Model 8300 mic preamp.
A particularly wide range of gain settings (10dB through 75dB of gain) is available for both preamplifier inputs of the Model 2032. This feature accommodates a broad array of input signals, from extremely "hot" microphone inputs to extremely "low" MI inputs, which are often neglected by professional peripheral audio processing devices. Indeed, the minimal 20dB of gain found in most microphone preamplifiers can be excessive in certain circumstances, and decreases the possibility of optimized gain staging. By the same token, real-world MI signals often require more than the typical 10 dB of gain commonly accorded them.
A combination of the rotary Gain switch and Fine potentiometer is used to control the gain setting of the preamplifier section, with the overall gain of the preamplifier calculated by adding the two control values. The Gain switch allocates between 15dB and 70dB of gain in precise 5dB steps, using a combination of discrete resistors for the ultimate in accuracy, stability, durability, and sonic integrity. Providing +/-5dB of continuously variable gain, the Fine control adds elasticity to gain setting.
GML 2032 Features
- All-discrete, Class-A design; no integrated circuits to compromise the
- audio path
- DC-servo and premium-grade film coupling; no interstage capacitors to
- add distortion or degrade over time; no tantalum electrolytic, ceramic, or
- aluminum electrolytic capacitors in the signal path
- Transformerless; precision electronically balanced inputs
- Designed with GML 9202 (single) and GML 8501 (dual-differential) lownoise,
- low-distortion, wide dynamic range, wide bandwidth precision
- discrete opamps
- DC-servo stabilized direct-coupled output
- Multi-input format: MIC or MI (front panel musical instrument)
- Wide gain range (10 dB to 75 dB) available on both inputs
- Precision Gain switch: 65dB range in 5dB steps
- Continuously variable preamplifier Fine gain control, +/-5dB
- Four-band fully parametric equalizer
- Low-frequency and High-frequency Shelf mode capability
- Flexible routing: Single-Channel, Independent, Inline Insert configurations
- High-pass Filter; selectable 40 Hz, flat, 100Hz
- Front panel Phantom and Phase illuminated switches
- Front panel EQ IN and Insert illuminated switches
- Overload (OL) indication LED
- Power status LED
- Low-noise, highly regulated internal linear power supply
- Modern surface-mount construction, yielding maximum precision