Cascade Knuckle Head - Antique Copper Ribbon Microphone w/ Lundahl
The Cascade Knuckle Head is a passive ribbon microphone that combines the acoustic components of the successful Fat Head ribbon with a shockmounted headbasket design reminiscent of early broadcast microphones.
The ribbon motor uses Neodymium magnets surrounding a 2.2-micron corrugated aluminum ribbon measuring 5mm x 45mm. The ribbon is mounted symmetrically within the magnetic gap, making the Knuckle Head suitable as the "mid" mic in a MS setup - the front and back of the mic should produce the same sound.
The ribbon motor and headbasket are suspended within a 6-inch diameter metal hoop by eight springs. The Lundahl output transformer is located within the cylindrical shaft below the shockmount hoop. The Knuckle Head offers a distressed antique copper finish that is hand-applied to each individual microphone. By using this method, every Knuckle Head becomes unique with it's own character and is destined to become an old school classic.
Cascade Knucklehead Specifications
- Type: Ribbon (velocity) Microphone
- Ribbon type & Dimensions: 99% Pure aluminum, 2.2 micron, 1 3/4" (L) X 3/16" (W)
- Polar pattern: Figure 8 Symmetrical design
- Sensitivity: -56 db +/- 2 dB (0 dB=1V/Pa)
- Frequency response: See PDF below
- Output Impedance: <=200 Ohms
- Recommended load impedance: >1000 Ohms
- Max.SPL (1% THD @1000 Hz): 165 dB
- Connector: 3-Pin male XLR
- Size: Diameter: O.D. grill:3", O.D. ring:6", O.D. body:7/8", Overall length:10"