Universal Audio have announced that following the release of their updated v9.0 UAD software, their Thunderbolt equipped interfaces are now compatible with Windows 10 machines that features a USB-C port. This is achieved using a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, connecting to the USB-C port on the Windows 10 machine.
All Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products, including Apollo 16 and Apollo 16 MKII, as well as Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin Thunderbolt, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt and first-generation silver Apollo models supplied with a Thunderbolt Option Card now have Thunderbolt compatibility with Windows 10. This also allows current PC-based Apollo and Apollo 16 FireWire users to upgrade their systems to Thunderbolt speed and stability with UA’s Thunderbolt Option Card.
UAD Thunderbolt Compatibility Requirements
- A Windows 10 PC computer featuring built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C is required.
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit edition (version 1607 or higher) is required. Earlier versions of Windows are not tested or supported.
- A qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (not included) is required to connect Universal Audio Thunderbolt products to the USB-C port on the computer.
- PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters, Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters, and Thunderbolt hubs are not tested or supported and may cause unexpected behaviour.
- Connections to Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 computer ports are not tested or supported.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows on Mac computers with Apollo or UAD-2 devices is not tested or supported.
- Apollo Thunderbolt models can be combined with UAD-2 PCIe cards and UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt, FireWire, and USB models).
- Both the original Thunderbolt 1 Option Card and the newer Thunderbolt 2 Option Card for Apollo are compatible.
- Apollo Thunderbolt cannot be combined with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB (multiple Apollo connection types are incompatible).
- Connecting more than one Apollo unit via Thunderbolt is currently incompatible. This feature will be available in a future software release.
Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapters
The following Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapters have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt:
(Note: The adapter connects between the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port on the computer and the Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio product).
- • Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: TBT3TBTADAP)
- • Kanex Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt Adapter (Product ID: K170-1051-BK6I)
Qualified Adapter Notes
The qualified Thunderbolt 3 adapters are compatible with connections to external Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices.
Note: Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
- The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter (Product ID: MMEL2AM/A) has been found to be incompatible with certain Windows systems in internal testing. As a result, it is not recommended to use this adapter for Windows Thunderbolt systems.
- The Apple adapter is incompatible with hot-plugging the adapter into the computer’s USB-C port. However, the adapter is compatible with hot-plugging the Thunderbolt cable into the adapter.
Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers
The following Windows 10 PC computers that feature Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C have been tested for compatibility with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt:
(Note: The systems below are compatible with Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and UAD-2 products as of November 3, 2016 - future compatibility cannot be guaranteed).
- Dell XPS 12
- Dell XPS 15 9550
- Dell Alienware R17
- HP ZBook G3
- Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition
- Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
- Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
General System Notes
- A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
- 2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater), and a built-in Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a USB-C port, combined with a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, are expected to be compatible.
- Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel’s Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible.