AMS Neve 33609N B-Stock
The Neve 33609 Stereo Compressor offers comprehensive limiting and compression facilities for music recording, mastering, post production and broadcast applications. The combination of hand-wired transformers and gain reduction circuitry produces a sound quality which is often duplicated, yet seldom achieved by any other compressor / limiter. Coupled with the unit’s unparalleled ease of use, this inimitable sound quality has made the 33609 a worldwide studio standard for three decades.
This is a B-Stock Item
The hallmark 33609 compression sound is very smooth, and extreme settings may be used with the compression or limiting remaining relatively transparent. After several versions of this classic Neve compressor over the years, today's 33609 provides the best of both worlds: original Neve 33609 sound, with enhanced internal and external I/O switching compared to the original model. The 33609 also utilises a discrete output stage like the original model, for a slightly warmer sound that is preferred by many professionals over previous iterations. Multiple units can be easily linked for multi-channel operation.
The 33609 features independent sidechains for the compressor and limiter sections, with similarly independent threshold, recovery and attack controls. The compressor features a selection of ratios from 1.5:1 to 6:1 and a gain make-up control that comes before the limiter. Overall gain reduction is indicated on a moving coil meter.
Much like the classic 1073 and 1081 microphone preamplifiers, the 33609 Stereo Compressor is often cited as a "desert island" compressor - one which a healthy sampling of the world’s top engineers and producers would choose above all others.
Neve 33609 N Features
- Classic Stereo Compressor / Limiter designed to exacting 1970’s specifications
- Made using hand-wired Neve transformers in Burnley, England
- Classic 2254 feedback compression circuitry
- Brick Wall Limiting
- Transparent level control
- Perfect for mixing, broadcast, and mastering applications
- Hard Limit feature for digital recording
- Limit in/out Compress in/out
- Discrete output stage for slightly warmer sound
- Frequency Response: +/- 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20kHz, measured at 0dBu relative to 1kHz
- Distortion (80kHz bandwidth): 0.075% maximum (Bypass IN, Compress and Limit OUT, input level at +9dBu, 1kHz)0.2% maximum (Compress IN ratio 6:1, Gain make-up to MAX, Recovery: 800mS, Threshold -18dBu)0.45% maximum (Limit IN, Compress OUT, Recovery 800mS, Input level +22dBu, Threshold -18dBu)
- Noise: -75dBu with input terminated in 600 Ohms, Bypass IN, Compress and Limit OFF; -55dBu with compress IN and gain make-up at maximum (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth)
- Limit Threshold: +4dBu to +15dBu
- Limiter Ratio: With input level at 10dBu, then increased to +20dBu, the change in output level should be 0.1dB, +/-0.1dB
- Limiter Attack Time: Slow 4mS, +/-1mS, fast 2mS, +/-1mS
- Limiter Recovery Time: A1 (auto): 100mS/2seconds, A2 (auto): 50mS/5seconds
- Compressor Ratio: 1.5:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 6:1
- Compressor Attack Time: Slow 6mS +/-1mS, fast 3mS +/-1mS
- Compressor Recovery Time: 100mS, 400mS, 800mS, 1.5S, and Auto 1 (100mS/2 sec) and Auto 2 (50mS/5 sec) settings.
- Compressor Gain Make-up: Gain Make-up control provides 0dB to +20dB extra gain in 2dB steps when Compress switched IN.
- Power Consumption: 5.3VA
- Width: 482mm (19 inches)
- Height: 88mm (3.46 inches)
- Depth: 255mm (10.03 inches)
- Weight: 5kg (11lbs)